Week 2 Studio
Presenting Our Research—Challenges, Reflections, and Learning
For our second week of term, we were tasked with presenting our research and analysis of a conservation planning document. Working in pairs, each of us had our role in the process, and I focused on breaking the document down into a time-centric format. I ended up with just one slide, but behind that single slide was a lot of effort in turning the dense document into a manageable timeline.
The timeline didn’t just organise events chronologically; it also functioned as a kind of bar chart. It highlighted the author’s focus on specific time periods by showing how much-written information had been devoted to each era. I tried to avoid repetition wherever possible, distilling the data to its clearest form. In hindsight, I think I could’ve gone further—perhaps using a plotline to illustrate the key trends more effectively. The feedback I received confirmed this: I was encouraged to make more out of my data and improve how I presented it. I also realised that I could have explained my work more clearly during the verbal part of my presentation.
I created the timeline using Mindview, which felt like the most obvious choice at the time. But now I believe Excel might be a better tool for the job. Excel’s timeline functions could have given me more flexibility—and it's a skill that’s highly employable, something I’m always looking to improve. Of course, Excel also allows for more advanced visuals, like the sleek infographics I’ve seen on TikTok. I’d love to create something like that one day, but learning all the extra skills in the time I had wasn’t feasible.
One of the reasons I approached the document the way I did was due to my dyslexia and dyspraxia. Part of my natural research process is to break a document down, initially with highlighters and notes. Especially when like this, a document is mainly a mass of similar and sometimes repeated points. The most obvious thing for me to do next is to understand the time scale visually (this is where my dyspraxia comes in).
Next time I get this opportunity, I plan to bite the bullet and use Excel to create an infographic. I will be more equipped to expand on conservation documents as I will better understand their potential. I can also plan my workflow around the document easier as I know more about what they contain.
Notes and Process
Final Slide
Notes (including year meeting)
Exploring Conservation at the Historic Dockyard
After our presentations, we spent the rest of the day at the historic dockyard, working in the ‘Old Pay Office’. An opportunity made possible by our tutor’s involvement with the conservation trust.
The Old Pay Office
The ‘Old Pay Office' is a building inside the dockyard which has been renovated and repurposed as a studio space for local artists, as well as offices for the trust. By transforming the space into a hub for local creatives, they’ve brought the community together while enhancing the area’s aesthetic. They have also managed to create a ‘living brief’ to work inside.
The trust works in partnership with a range of organisations to bring buildings to life. In most cases, the trust's main responsibility is to renovate and maintain the space so it becomes and stays functional. Additionally, it organises and documents the building's use.
Deniz (A member of the trust who gave our class a lecture) discussed leaving certain parts of the building exposed. The trust has plans to remove some of the paint from the bricks, revealing the original walls beneath. I love the idea of allowing the old materials to be appreciated in their raw form—it’s a way of honouring the building’s history while still making it usable in the present.
Being at the dockyard and seeing conservation in action made me appreciate the delicate balance between preserving history and adapting spaces for modern use. It was interesting to experience firsthand how conservation projects work, as both architecture students and end users.
Instagram Edit
Some of the photos were experimented with and edited further for Instagram. Initially, I sharpened and brightened the pictures as, apart from the conservatory, the rest of the studios had a dull natural light. This gave the space a warm, cosy feel in real life, but in photos, it looked a bit grey. I then tried out different filters to see what they brought to the photos. I don’t normally edit pictures on my phone, but since I am trying to put more content on Instagram, using my phone is efficient, and it allows me to get comfy with a simpler tool (than Photoshop).
Notes
Next Week’s Task: Urban Design Theories
Looking ahead, the studio class has divided into groups to tackle different tasks for our next presentation. My group, made up of three members, has chosen to explore urban design theories (Theme 3) and assist with the physical analysis and surveying task (Theme 7).
I was personally drawn to the theory research as it plays to my strong suit. Though I am dyslexic, I enjoy the process of creating quality solutions for research problems. Initially, my group was unsure about attempting the theories theme. However, they were keen once they realised what it involved.
We (the group) plan to visit our studio tutor during the week to borrow a recommended text on urban design. Along with the book, our tutor will provide us with additional guidance on how to approach and process the subject
It’s shaping up to be a busy but exciting fortnight of research and exploration. I’m looking forward to further understanding urban design and preparing for the site visit next week.












































