Admin Moon: Branding
The Name
The Admin Moon brand started with questions. Who are my customers? What do I do?
Answers:
They are small business owners.
They are artistic, creative, and alternative.
I provide people with administrative needs. Their needs are at the centre of my support.
The name needed to be short, punchy and explanatory.
When I looked at the picture of a moon at my desk it just popped. The moon circles the earth, but more importantly, it's associated with calm, creative energy and alternative styles.
Hence – Admin Moon
The Logo
The logo was created with a quick sketch of the moon, which was used as a base to create an original icon in Adobe Illustrator.
The colours and tones were selected to communicate professionalism without looking too corporate. I had researched a few brands, and I wanted to avoid a bright, tacky, or overly masculine look.
Type
One of the most important parts of branding is type. Good type style communicates more than just what it spells. It tells people about your business culture. If you are a formal or informal organisation. Are you creative? Your inspiration and attitude.
I wanted a simple serif as I wanted an elegant, professional, but stylish look. Times New Roman is a classic; as a new business with no capital, I chose a cheap option, which is accessible from most software.
Describing What I Do
Describing what I provide as a freelancer is hard. I have a good service, which I have been providing on and off for people for years. Telling people what exactly it is I do to assist people is hard. The short answer is that I help people with any administrative needs they have, be it organisational or creative. However I also coach people and set things up, so they don’t need me anymore. Most small business owners need this as they don’t have the finances to have an administrator continually, and they like to be in control of their organisation.
On the wall in my office, I have a goals list. Things I hope to do around my other responsibilities during my year out. One of the points on that list is to make the most of Linked In Learning and improve my final presentation skills. One of the courses had challenges at the end of each chapter, which I applied to my business. This (below) was my attempt at a full-page magazine advert. It helped me understand my customers better and describe my service simply. I had also been dipping in and out of a business course which I implemented within this challenge.





