Technology and environment: Design Practice (Artifact 2)(part 3)
I received feedback on the second part of the technology submission. 66.50%, which is a 2:1 (3.5 points off a First). The second artefact required each member of the artefact 1 group to pick a section of the technical drawings (indicated by the professor) within the provided article about our chosen building. Then create a 3D diagram at 1:10/1:5 scale as a means of analysing and exploring that part of the building.
Looking at the feedback, I could have created an exploded diagram for the whole section. I'll consider it in the future. I think from my own perspective, if I were to do this again, I would try to include diagrams within the text. However, I do like the bland technical nature of the piece. I love the direct clean nature of technical drawings, especially when they have been used. Dirty fingerprints and coffee stains appear.
The 3D detail was drawn in 2D first on Vectorworks and then imported to Rhyno. I was initially unaware that I was allowed to trace the 2D drawing from the source and re-scale it. Redrawing the piece helped me to understand/analyse the detail, so it was worth the time. Initially, I planned to colour code the final diagram, but this looked unclear when I experimented with it. I used letters instead. However, the colours do add to the readability of the diagram.
I could have added an opening paragraph, but the piece is meant to be an insert for the report created in article 1, so it should be self-explanatory. I may try this next time to see if it increases my mark.
Overall, it was a complex, but interesting piece to make and I am glad my professor/marking team liked it.


