Thematic Design
[published 7/5/22]
The module descriptor says, “Thematic Design aims to explore of alternative themes of design, combining theory and hands-on activities. The module defines themes of investigation, which allows deeper reflection, investigation and experimentation with two –dimensional and three-dimensional approaches, using images, theory and texts.”
It was an optional module which I ended up on due to a
mishap with the university administrators. So when it began, I hadn’t had time
to research it, and I wasn’t too sure
what it consisted of. I believe it is using the arts to study a subject. This
module is based on film, but there were several hand in options; a film, a
comic, an essay and a story.

I was fairly lost and didn’t know what to do, so I ended up experimenting with everything but an essay. I have covered essay writing in other subjects, so I wanted to work on something else. I ended up writing a story based on an audiobook I had been listening to, ‘Real Estate’ by Deborah Levy. Her tone and rhythm was smooth, and her descriptions invoked a clear, atmospheric image. I had just moved, so I based my story on my move and the different homes I have lived in. It will probably read as a bit pretentious, but it was a topic I could apply to both the books writing style and architecture. In the future, I could expand on this by interviewing other people or going on a trip.
I’m not sure how I did on this module, but I enjoyed doing something unexpected.




.jpg)
