History: Modernism Vs Contemporary (Part 3)
(Published 18/2/2022)
The Final Notes
This is the final part of my history notes. I didn’t get through all the recommended videos. However, they will make some good summer watching.
The Poster
the poster was relatively easy once I could understand what was required. It was meant to act as a visual mind map for the essay.
I used InDesign for the layout. Gridlines were placed, and then the photographs were organised around the gridlines. Different text sizes to capture the different hierarchy of information.
It was much easier to find information about the Finsbury healthcare centre initially. The Finsbury health centre is a lot older, and the principal architect Lubetkin is renowned within the field. Initially, I was quite worried that I had picked two very different buildings and they would have nothing in common. However, I was glad I trusted the process. I chose two buildings that I liked and found that both were bound mainly because they were built with local people in mind.
The one rookie mistake I made with the poster was not putting all the text through spellchecker/Gramley. The notes were meant to be rough notes alongside the pictures. I usually spell check as I went along, and I did not think to spellcheck before handing it in.
The Essay
I plan to upload the essay later as it is currently being marked, and I don’t want to trigger the plagiarism software used by the University.
Once I got into writing the essay, it was fairly interesting. I don’t have much experience with academic writing, but I’m confident with citing sources and referencing. I definitely improved my research skills during the writing task. I plan to practice citing and referencing within the second teaching block (although this is unnecessary) and practice my academic research skills. I want to build on my writing skills (which is one of the reasons I have continued with this blog). Though I’m dyslexic and dyspraxic, I’ve always enjoyed writing. This course has allowed me to learn more about writing and become more confident within the craft.
