Technology

 

[Published 24/6/2021] [Update 27/6/2021][Update2/7/2021]

I have all my grades. My ultimate goal was to pass this year. Anything extra is a bonus. So, this is my pass subject, the one I got through with the skin of my teeth. The group project went really well, but my solo project was a bit of a disasta. I was running behind on it and photoshop smelled fear.

 

I kept having to override the program to end it (above). When I did it, there was a feedback option which I used a lot. I also sore that I wasn't the only one with this problem. After some research, I found out that it may be something to do with an update for my graphic card and IT services helped me turn it off within the Photoshop program. It didn't help, but it was worth a shot. I haven't played around with Photoshop since as it was my last hand-in. However, I aim to learn a bit more about Photoshop over the summer. The program fix appeared the next day, but it was too late (below). Overall, this was an opportunity to understand a bit more about the program and how to troubleshoot within it.


So my hand in was terrible, but I didn’t fail. This is my overall feedback:

“This submission presents very good environmental exploration. Sketches shows good understanding of structural aspects, that said research and analysis that should back these sketches are missing, apart from one precedent.  There is research about concrete walls but apparently the building is built with timber construction. it is important to avoid such confusion in final submission. The plan technical drawing is very good!”

And as you can see with my hand in (below), there is a bit of a lack of research. I could have asked for a late submission, but I didn’t want it to affect my history grade (my last hand in), which was a good call because I got 88% in my history unit.

I emailed my tutor in advance as I was concerned that the PDF would be corrupt. So he wasn’t too shocked.



 

The page above is wair I gave up. I had tried to move everything I have done from photoshop to Publisher using JPEG. The JPEGs kept disappearing. I decided to cut my losses, create a PDF and hand-in. It's a shame because I liked this drawing and would have loved it to be labelled.


Efficiency and Productivity

[Reviewing the year]

Why was I running late? I didn't understand or know how to approach this submission. It was broken down into tasks. I worked hard on the initial task, but after that, it slipped. I think ultimately I struggled a lot with creative block this year. The fear of not doing something right. It's just something I will have to work through. Next year I will push myself to do something even if it is a bit wrong. At least then I have something to discuss with my tutor. I will also look into creative block during the summer.

I also think that I was trying to fit too much into my day. One of those things was webinars. I wanted to through myself into university life and consume all the information available. Next year I plan to curb the number of webinars I consume and think about what I do while watching the webinars. I'll try sketching, something course-related or household chores, so that I have enough proper free time.

My daily meditation definitely helped with productivity and burnout prevention. It cleared my mind, ready for the rest of the day. At a time cost of 10 minutes, it was worthwhile.

I think getting on with stuff early (5:30 to 9 am)  helped. However, I believe that it burnt me out at times and as it was extra, I didn't feel the need to be on task. I work shift in my normal working life, so I don't make the most of my mornings. I would generally be at work by 5:50 am or catching up with sleep. Next year I plan to exercise or get breakfast/coffee before work (read university work). I have never understood how people have the time to fit in a morning jog. Now I know. I will also have a clear objective if I start early and be ready to start the day before starting work.

I also worked a lot on evenings and weekends. Some of this was due to flexible working, which was positive. Some of this was due to pressures from others. Some family and friends didn't understand the amount of work the university required, so I needed to clarify boundaries. There were also some emails from lecturers which arrived just before the weekend or partway through a holiday. I attended a webna on professional etiquette and working from home. Using an out of hours email with clear working hours was suggested, to set boundaries and manage expectations. I have put one in place for this summer, but the actual trial will be whether it works next year.

Overall I have produced a lot of quality work this year. As a mature student, I am lucky to have crossover skills with regards to efficiency. The strange circumstance which we find ourselves in this year has taught me a lot about working from home. Overall I have enjoyed the flexibility and seclusion of home working.

An Extra Bit on Efficiency(a point from my fiance)

During a chat with my fiance, he brought up how long it took to get my computer (for my dyspraxia and dyslexia) and other bits of extra help. I was half a term in before I got 1:1 assistance and a term and a half before receiving my computer, which had assistance software.

I would generally take 20/30minuets to read and fully absorb a 5/10minuet written peace. The Read&Write software on my laptop allows me to access information at a normal pace. I don't have much to write on my course, but there is no way that I would have completed my history unit [explorationhisttheoconcern.blogspot.com] without Dragon, which dictates my voice. When I have done a lot of work, I get to the point where I cannot see the words on the page, and I essentially have to type blind. Handwriting is easier. However, it takes longer to correct, and typing is an industry-standard. I also have a mind view which works as a digital mind map. It allows me to organise my thoughts, research, notes, etc., quickly and effectively without digitalising it later. It's easy to edit the mind map, so I don't have to rewrite things as the piece develops. Finally, I use Grammarly and Read&Write to proof my work.

The point being that my efficiency improved significantly when I received my computer. I then had the arduous task of catching up with everything. This computer is a lifeline; without getting to soppy, there is no way I can express my gratitude for it. Though I would have completed my degree through sheer bloody-mindedness (as most SpLDers do). My mark would not in any way reflect my knowledge or the effort and time taken to compleat my work.

Popular Posts