Desighn application: The End (part 2)

 

[Published 21/6/2021]

So it's a bit later and I have handed everything in. I am having a week off at least to bring everything together. Part of that is to bring this blog to a close for the summer. I am also exploring options for a more professional platform. Though I have loved using Blogger, I want my blogging skills to grow and I feel that having a more adaptable digital space will push me further. So I will finish this blog on Blogger and perhaps move the content over. I'm not sure, but I would like this blog to be completed.

Longatudanle Sections

In order, to action feedback, I joined the sections together using an initial pencil-drawn skeleton. It took a long time. I kept having to re-draw all my orthographic. It started to feel a little bit like quicksand. Eventually, I called it quits and just told myself that nothing is perfect. Otherwise, I would never compleat the whole task. This decision was something I was quite proud of making. A decision that I will be more confident making over time.

Cross Sections

I wish I had done more cross-sections. However, as time goes on, I am getting a lot quicker and more accurate at line drawing. The communications unit will focus on digital design tools next year (photoshop, CAD, etc). Correcting mistakes will be a lot easier. I enjoy drawing orthographic, so I’d still like to use a bit of hand drawing next year.


Plan and Map

I used Photoshop to clean up the plan. The scan was patchy and uneven. I don't know how to fix this. I do know that this is how the class was recommended to change paper drawings to digital. I researched better scanning, though I picked up a few tips (regularly cleaning scanner, don't let the scanner auto adjust the copy), it didn't help. I tried lots of different settings, turning the scanner on and off again. I am concerned that it's my scanner, so I am looking into buying a new one. I currently have a Brother (MFC-J5335DW). It was expensive for me, but it was probably cheap for an A3 printer. My model has an A4 scanner, which I didn't expect until I opened it. As I had been finding it hard to find an A3 printer, I just went with it—definitely a mistake on my part. The printer I have would be superb for general home printing, but it's just not good enough for what I need. The tec support was excellent.

Black lines were deleted, but they left a clean line that showed up due to the patchiness of the scan. I thought the way to clean it up was to use digital rendering, which made it look inconsistent with the other rendered drawings. Now I am further away from the project, I can see that once the drawing was tided up, it would have looked a lot better hand-rendered.

The map was traced from a Digi map printout, then painted. I wanted a wishy-washy effect; I should have photocopied it onto a better type of paper. Again I was too close to the project. Next year I need to be stricter about my working hours. Giving myself more time to think. Part of this was due to issues behind the scenes. However, I have learnt a lot about independent working this year. I am proud of the boundaries I have kept, and I will keep strengthening those boundaries while improving my productivity.

Perspective Views and Killer Image

I started by sketching out some ideas using charcoal, graphite and pen. Creating the perspectives was nerve recking. I drew the spaces with pencil and outlined with pen. Photocopied them, then experimented with colour. I tried to apply scale to my drawings, which I believe was successful. I was surprised how well they came out. I used grey ghosts instead of people. I don't feel confident in my sketching of people. Maybe that's something I can work on during the summer. I have been so surprised how much my drawing skill and speed has improved over the year. My confidence has also improved. The extra sketching and general hard work has paid off.




The final drawings would have been better if they were rendered on watercolour paper. But the scanner workes better with smooth paper.

 



The Killer image took an evening and a morning. It was such a surprise that I could draw this. There are mistakes, but I could have never dreamed of drawing something this technical this time last year. I didn't photocopy, at any point, I liked its organic nature. Watercolour was added to the window to draw the eye out and communicate the prospect aspect relationship with the building.

The line and tone were made using a range of charcoals, graphite and pastel.


Orthographic Drawings Rendered

I used my A3 lightbox to trace and improve upon the hand-drawn context. The class was asked to draw the context by hand without using a ruler. Which was challenging, but it has improved my drawing skills. The context was drawn and redrawn a few times.

The context was populated using the knowledge I gained from my site visit. I had to make a few assumptions. However, it was important to give it some scale. The grey pen that I'd used in the orthographic drawings showed up much better on standard paper (compared to tracing paper). I need to be aware of this in the future, which is a shame because I love using grey pen for context. It has a ghostly quality, which communicates potential rather than what is. I started using grey pen when I looked at Mario Botter's artwork during the first communication unit.

I used several layers of watercolour paint to render my drawings on watercolour paper. I didn't stretch it beforehand because the paper is quite thick and it just wasn't necessary. For continuity, the context was painted, in monochrome, to make the featured building stand out.




All the elevations were painted in colour. This was specified in the brief. The contextual elevations were permanent without possibilities, so I don't believe that I am breaking the consistency rules of this set. I like the way the accurately drawn straight lines show up against the hand-drawn context. You can tell the difference between the main focus and what's surrounding it. It also gives the context character.


Popular Posts