Desighn application: The End (part 1)

 

[published on 2/6/2021] [

Blogging and update

There has been a lot going on behind the scenes over the last couple of months. On top of 4 major deadlines looming. So this blog has come to a bit of a standstill while I prioritise. The University has been cyber-attacked which was unfortunate, but it provided much needed catchup time for me, and many of my classmates. I genuinely thought that I would not be adding to this blog until the 14th of June (at least), but here I am. The long days and weekends have paid off and I have submitted my second major project (2of 4) 2 days early. I celebrated (by sleeping and) giving myself time to post.

Through this year, blogging has become a handy evaluation tool and keepsake. I didn't know if I would decide that it wasn't valuable and give it up. I have worked on trying to make it more regular and I have slowly improved my delivery method. I think blogging will eventually become quite important to architects (if it isn't already), unlike vlogging and podcasting, which is a product in its self. Blogging can be detailed and retrospective. No one is going to take the time to listen to a 4-hour design process video and there is nothing worse than having to skip through a video to find the correct information. Were as Blogs can be rambling and 4 hours long (well, this is ironic). It's easy to skip through and find the information which applies to you. Equally, they can be short and sweet. Pictures are a primary source of communication and thought for designers. Which can be easily displayed on a blog with no pausing. Video and audio can be added as part of the blog. 

 

Interim review

 







 My interim review was not great. I had realised I was lacking, but the prep for the review and the review told me where and how much. I don't think I had really sown together the work from other classes and the brief requirements. I cobbled together the site survey sheet and put some other bits on a page.

The map and serial views took so long. However, I learnt so much from making them. I have become more efficient with photoshop and even though the cereal views were traced from GoogleMaps, something in my mind clicked. I don’t know how I would have finished my communications piece if I hadn’t done this first.

I hope next year, I can bring the brief and information from other classes together more successfully. I did have a 1:1 ASDAC session on briefs, which I hope to put into play next time. I also plan to start the final presentation at the start of the project. Even if it's just opening and titling a few photoshop pages.

 


 Façade

This was drawn in the middle of the final orthographics.


I started my drawings by creating pencil sections. Using orthographic sections as reference.



Though the back of the building was not required, I felt that it needed entering someware. I dont think that its a compleat bilding without the back.

Above looking at how facade would fit in final drawings. I confirmed that I would have to re-draw my 1:100 street view to improve quality.

The facade was surprisingly easy to finish. It was practically set at the start of the project. I spoke to a window maker about the viability of the windows, as they are massive. They were fine, but the frames may have to be quite thick. I made a Pinterest board for my window and brick precedents and pick the best pictures to explain my idea to go in the book.

 

I found an extra online lecture on moodle after designing the facade. I still took notes, as I felt this might be useful in the future.



 

Popular Posts