Design Application: Consolidation week and Easter (2)

 

[published 19/4/2021] [update 4/5/2021][update 19/6/2021]

This model has been created to action reaserch and develop my design. Most of the exploration has focused on the interiour organisation, with a basic look at the exteriour.

 
 

(above) the initial model for reference.

(below) equipment. Whiteboard used as edges can be cut more accurately than corrugated card.


 

The whiteboard I had available wasn't thick enough to represent the walls accurately. Pieces were stuck together to create thickness.

 

I usually leave a gap in a development model to represent a void. This model needs a transparent wall to model the physical divides I plan to use. This relates to my precedent
 which uses prospect well within an urban environment, and it allows for natural light pivotal to a makers environment.



The sissors give a much cleaner cut then the knife.



Metric hand book (above)






 
 
 









(above) 3mm gray board




Looking at how the floors connect to leave the double-height space required in the brief and the orientation of the first floor in keeping with the precedent device.















Exploring third to second-floor stairs.






Photos to understand how users will view space, concentrating on stairs and double hight.








 
(Below) Trying to explor the space around the staircase using photography.




Exploring second-floor layout.






Final Photos

Artificial light. LED ring light and phone camera.

(above)Front of building.
(above) front of building
(above) Back of building.
(above) Top back of building
(above) light from front. Front of building.

(above)Light from the back, close. Simulating artificial interior light travelling through and out. Lamp effect similar to the president. photo of building front.

What Next?

Though I feel that there are a few details to hash out within the final oblique drawings, I am now ready to start the final drawings.

The Presentation Page

I really didn’t know which bits of information to present from this exercise. There was so much information and decision making. Had it been a standard presentation where you just handed in your sketchbook alongside your final piece, I would have just presented it all. This year it has been strictly digital portfolio presentations, with limited pages from our sketchbooks.  However, it did leave me with the ability to action feedback and place it seamlessly in the presentation. I re-photoed the model and created the 3d context, which my tutor suggested.


The context models were so much simpler to make than I thought. I printed out a Digimap to scale of the site and made cardboard sides. Then used super glue, masking tape and double-sided sticky to fix the pieces together. In the future, I may make use of this method with a thin card and print the Digimap on the card. This would look more professional. Possibly print an illustration of the side of the building, if I can find a way of scaling the elevation.




I aimed to re-create a view from the opposite pavement. Showing how the light welcomes and entices visitors.(below)

I didn't use these two.




 

Popular Posts