Autopsy: Christmas Reaserch

 

Research

 
 
I started my Christmas research by printing out the Power Point which I needed to fill. I like to scribble over hand outs. It keeps me focused on what research is necessary and helps me to organize myself. I kept going back to it and adding potential answers.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The next thing was to get some basic over all information on the architect (Fathy Hassan). I looked for a video on the internet (Kanopy and youtube), but the only things I could find were not reliable sources of information. I also looked for podcasts. With after thought I could have looked on other sites or looked for a DVD I could borrow/purchase. I find Vidios and Audio are a good place to start researching a subject, as it provides quick accurate information to expand on. 


I found a few cheep e-books on Play books. Its an app which works like kindle. I find that there is a larger range of titles on Play Books. The read aloud option is also a lot easier to use and is more effective. This improves the length of time and the speed at which I can study, due to my dyslexia and dyspraxia.

 
 
I made lots of ruff notes while I read my e-book (Hassan Fathy: Prophet of earth archtecture, by A El-shorbagy). I very much believe in a working sketchbook, but looking back it would be nice to make it a bit more beautiful. Maybe splitting up the page. Using different pens. Using craft paper.


I used YouTube to gain information about the times surrounding Fathy. I validated my research by spending a few moments researching the author. Alternatively, some of the accounts were from credible sources. I had no previous knowledge of the British Empires involvement in Egypt. So a good chunk of my research was learning this a brief part of this History. 

I also looked through my own library to see if they contained any information on Fathy. This broke up the monotony of reading one book and gave me a more rounded picture of Fathy. I could have visited the Library, but Tier 4 made it harder. 

The end result of the research was planned thought.



 
A big mistake that I made was not to look at the reading list. I printed it out at the start of the project. Its just something I will have to remember do during the next project. To prevent this I made a quick prompt list for next time (4 pictures below).
 
 This project gave me an opportunity to expand my Library. Having my own books allows me to annotate the books and keep them for as long as I want, which is easier for my Spld's. None of the books came in time, but I still see them as an investment.





 
 
Using the sources from the reading list I found some excellent information on the House itself.







One of the positives of  an e-book is that  you can use it where ever. Again presentation could have been better.


 
I traced/drew the outline of a Fathy house section. Using pastel and conte to show light and use of material. 

This posts sketchbook recording experiment, was using my phone to really quickly snap photos of my sketchbook pages. Then use Photoshop express to edit my photos (my computer is to old for proper Photoshop). I noticed a real difference in the colour viberance of my picture. The photograph definitely captures the picture, better then the scan, which I have used in my power point. Something again to consider in the future.

Scan (Above)

Scanned and edited. (Above)


Presentation

The information had to be presented on a Power Point template, provided by the university. I used this as a waffle reducing exercise. Working hard to keep below the word count for each section. While providing the required information. I had to reduce the referencing font, but there was no maximum given. I couldn't find a concept sketch, so I included another section of the building. I am hoping that this substitute will be acceptable.

Fathys architecture is excellent.  I found his intentions to control poor people for there own good a bit hypocritical given his Nationalist views. Though he dose have an elitist way of speaking about and treating the poor, his hart is in the right place. He really wanted to help people. I do believe that he grow personally over time.

Over all I could have, definitely, picked an easier person to research. This may have given me better grades and more personnel time. I don't believe that I would have learnt as much by picking a lesser known architect.






 

 

 

 

Popular Posts